I don’t know about other parts of the world, but in the United States the Spring and March Madness go hand-in-hand. Considering I have never watched a basketball game beyond when my boys were little and playing at the YMCA, I hold no interest in all the Hoop-la. (Yes, pun intended) March Anti-Madness, however, has a firm grip on my attention span.
During the course of this March and every March thereafter, I challenge you to take the necessary steps to clean up and better your business.
“My business is going great!” you may think. Yes, I think that too! But that doesn’t mean there aren’t areas that can be improved on. For example:
- What does your desk look like? Does it look like our neighborhood leaf-blowing snow guy blew all types of crap on your desk, whether it belongs there or not? I guarantee the hand-knit sock for your baby isn’t helping your productivity when you’re looking for a working pen.
- How long is the to-do list containing items specifically for YOUR business? Clean up some, if not all, of these items to make yourself feel great!
- Is your business card updated? You may think you don’t need a business card these days, especially if 99.9% of your marketing takes place online. Guess what… You’re wrong. Here’s how I know: I was invited to a networking group and asked for a rain check because I didn’t have a business card to pass out. Yes, people… The graphic designer has not designed her own business card yet.
- How many outstanding tasks do you have to complete for your clients? Hint: Hire a virtual assistant to complete some of these tasks. Yes, you will have to pay the assistant, but if you find one who changes less than you are being paid you can make money off the task!
- Is your website a hot mess? Your content should be spot-on and your meta content description should be updated. Your categories and menu should be functioning and you should know your contact form is working properly. Do you know if this is the case?
- What social media strategy? News flash! Google Hummingbird takes your social media into account when deciding where to place you in their search results. A lack of social media posts may very well hurt you. Are you willing to take that chance? If you’re not ready to hire a social media manager, sign up for Hootsuite so you can schedule a few days (or more) of social media posts at a time.
If you need ANY assistance figuring out how to take your business from “Great!” to “Brilliant!” this Spring, give us a shout! Sutton Creative Studios is in business to help your business, and March Anti-Madness is a great place to start!
Kim Sutton is the Managing Partner and Chief Everything Officer of The Sutton Companies, including Sutton Strategic Solutions and Sutton Creative Studios. She is a graduate of The School of the Art Institute of Chicago where she earned her Bachelor’s Degree in Interior Architecture.
An avid reader and passionate learner, Kim is constantly researching, studying and developing business improvement strategies. When it comes to client work, Kim especially enjoys helping her clients develop innovative marketing strategies and sales funnels, particularly when they are using Infusionsoft to automate all the heavy lifting. To find out how you can further develop your company’s marketing and automation strategies schedule a 1-hour Business Boost Strategy Session by clicking here.
In her free-time, Kim cherishes the time she gets to spend with her husband, Dave (her business partner), and five children. She also enjoys reading, knitting, writing and playing video games.
Get a copy of Kim’s FREE guide, “10 Top Tools for Small Businesses” by clicking here.