By naked I mean one or all of the following:
• No signature on your emails (new or replies) whatsoever… Tsk tsk tsk!
• Your name is there but without any contact information
• You have your name, email address and phone number but your business URL and/or social media pages are missing
• You have all of the above, however you have no pictures
If you have a complete signature, good for you! I’m proud of you! If not, let’s work on it.
A proper email signature is probably one of the easiest marketing tools available. Whether you are still using gmail or hotmail (PLEASE consider dressing up your email address as discussed here), or an official email address, your email signature should have and be the following:
• ALL business emails, whether new emails or a reply, should have your signature at the bottom.
• Your name
• Your title – Let the recipient know what you do in your business
• Your business name – This is pretty obvious, yea?
• Your business logo – you want to connect with the recipients of your emails and allow them to connect with your branding
• Your business phone number
• Your business URL – Give your recipients a way to see what your business is all about!
• Links to your business’ social media pages – This is a great way to increase your follower count
While some people feel the need to put their picture in their signature, I don’t feel this is necessary. Personally, I am marketing my business and my expertise, and neither is dependent on my appearance. Would it give people a face to put with the name? Sure. But that same face can be found by a simple search on Facebook or LinkedIn. I don’t judge books by their covers, and I don’t believe the recipients of my emails should either.
Do you have questions about how to set up your email signature? Feel free to contact us for more information.
Kim Sutton is the Managing Partner and Chief Everything Officer of The Sutton Companies, including Sutton Strategic Solutions and Sutton Creative Studios. She is a graduate of The School of the Art Institute of Chicago where she earned her Bachelor’s Degree in Interior Architecture.
An avid reader and passionate learner, Kim is constantly researching, studying and developing business improvement strategies. When it comes to client work, Kim especially enjoys helping her clients develop innovative marketing strategies and sales funnels, particularly when they are using Infusionsoft to automate all the heavy lifting. To find out how you can further develop your company’s marketing and automation strategies schedule a 1-hour Business Boost Strategy Session by clicking here.
In her free-time, Kim cherishes the time she gets to spend with her husband, Dave (her business partner), and five children. She also enjoys reading, knitting, writing and playing video games.
Get a copy of Kim’s FREE guide, “10 Top Tools for Small Businesses” by clicking here.