In a recent article I spoke of the importance of taking time off from your business for the holidays. After thinking more about it, I realized I meant, more specifically, take time off from your clients. This gives you room to give yourself a gift this Christmas.
The gift I am talking about isn’t something you would necessarily wrap up in gift wrap and place a bow on. This gift would be one that could/would benefit you and/or your business in the new year. What I am talking about? Here are a few examples:
• Wrap up your website – Is your website an eyesore? Do you cringe whenever you send somebody to it? You shouldn’t! Hire a web designer/developer to take care of your monstrosity of a website and make it worthy for the eyes of your potential clients and/or customers.
• Send out your cards – Your business card, that is. Have your business cards been updated recently? Do they include your web address, email address and all your social media links? If not, you are lacking a major component of your marketing. Together with a graphic designer and an online printer like Vistaprint you can have proper business cards to maximize your marketing efforts in 2014.
• Read a book – Never underestimate the knowledge you may get acquire while reading. Not only do you learn, but great ideas can come to you. Pick up the latest business-related best seller and/or copies of Inc., Entrepreneur or Fast Company magazines. Trust me – You won’t regret it!
• Write a book – Yup, WRITE a book! You will get your creative juices flowing, and in the end you will also have a product you can see on Amazon or give away free to newsletter subscribers on your website. Make sure to budget a little bit of money for a graphic designer to properly lay out your book and the book cover though. You don’t want a potential client’s first impression of your business to be a shoddy looking book cover.
• Assemble your team of elves – As your business hopefully grows in 2014, you will need to have a team ready to help you handle the extra work. Are you prepared? If not, pull together a job listing and post it on all your social media channels. Don’t forget to post it on Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter!
In case you’re wondering, yes, I AM practicing what I preach on each and every one of these items. Because we’ve been adding to Team Awesome, the website is finally being put into tip-top shape by our fabulous web developer, Vipin. And Michelle and Jake are working behind the scenes to make Sutton Creative Studios even more fabulous than it already is.
What are YOU giving yourself and your business this Christmas? Please share in the comments below!
Kim Sutton is the Managing Partner and Chief Everything Officer of The Sutton Companies, including Sutton Strategic Solutions and Sutton Creative Studios. She is a graduate of The School of the Art Institute of Chicago where she earned her Bachelor’s Degree in Interior Architecture.
An avid reader and passionate learner, Kim is constantly researching, studying and developing business improvement strategies. When it comes to client work, Kim especially enjoys helping her clients develop innovative marketing strategies and sales funnels, particularly when they are using Infusionsoft to automate all the heavy lifting. To find out how you can further develop your company’s marketing and automation strategies schedule a 1-hour Business Boost Strategy Session by clicking here.
In her free-time, Kim cherishes the time she gets to spend with her husband, Dave (her business partner), and five children. She also enjoys reading, knitting, writing and playing video games.
Get a copy of Kim’s FREE guide, “10 Top Tools for Small Businesses” by clicking here.